Sunday 7 August 2011

Bunny Clicker Training

I've seen some videos on YouTube of clicker training with rabbits, a strange concept but it actually works! I knew it would be a great idea for my rabbits Freddie and Jimmy. I thought I should try and start with something simple, so as my bunnies are only 12weeks old I thought I'd do a simple 'touch' which is done with a dog in the same way, you offer your hand, the animal goes to sniff it out and you click and treat! So i did this for a few days with both Freddie and Jimmy and they were getting very good and moving from left to right to touch my hand, it was brilliant....and very cute! The next step was something a bit more challenging, a 'beg' as many people call it with dogs. This is where the animal reaches up onto its back legs and 'begs' some people also call it 'be a bear' (for obvious reasons) Proceeding from the 'touch' I got the rabbits to touch my hand higher up over their head, bit by bit, and a click and treat when they got onto their back legs. After a while they were hopping up to me and going into the 'beg' all by themselves and all for a few rabbit pellets and greens!
Freddie seems rather keen!
(Freddie left, Jimmy right)

The boys doing perfect 'begs'
(Freddie left, Jimmy right)

No comments:

Post a Comment